Saturday, May 8, 2010

Two more solvy bookmarks using ultra solvy with fabric scraps.  This time I raided my crazy quilt scrap supply that has lots of unusual fabric many of them cut from old dresses found at thrift stores.

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Bookmark with solvy stitching

This is my trial book mark made by stitching little tidbits of fabric etc between a solvy sandwich.  I used ultra solvy because I already had some.  I have ordered some super solvy to see if I like that better.  It is probably over stitched.  I just can't seem to stop.  



       

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Banquet table

The theme for the Ecumenical Lenten services this year is feasting and fasting.  Today the theme was the Great banquet or as it was called in Matthew 22 the parable of the wedding banquet.  The planners chose to use the theme all are invited.  I was asked to create an art project and I chose to do a banquet table.  I used a narrow card table and covered it with a patchwork table cloth in rainbow colors to signify inclusiveness.  I used two place settings and a center piece of a large gourd filled with dried plants and a cross made from dried cholla.  I spray painted everything with gold.    All of the dishes etc came from a thrift shop.  I even spray painted a couple of wooden chairs I got at the thrift store.  

I made up a little invitation to hand to everybody inviting them to the banquet.  I also included a little about the symbolisnm of the various items and colors.    

I worked many hours on the table cloth and I knew it would never be finished so I said I would use it just as it was on the day.  I was putting a border around it last evening when my sewing machine quit.  So I hand basted the edge and pinned it to the back side.  I felt like the people on Project Runway, sewing their models into their outfits just before runway time.  

I am not really a quilter so I didn't call it a quilt but it may grow up to be a quilt someday.  


Monday, February 15, 2010

Rainbow table covering

One of the first things I learned about when I moved to Grinnell in March 2006 was the wonderful ecumenical Lenten services held every Wednesday at a different church, with a little lunch served afterwards.  I look forward to attending these every year.

This year I was invited to participate by doing a visual project for one of the services.  The planners are trying to bring in different arts including visual, music and poetry.  I am the only visual artist and they pretty much gave me freedom to design the project.

The theme is feasting and fasting and my project is going to be "Feasting" centering around the parable of the wedding banquet.  Now I am not ready to reveal too many details of my project yet, but I am hard at work on a rainbow table covering.  I am not going to call it a quilt, at least not yet, as I am not a real quilter.  But I am a color person at heart and I am loving using the rainbow of fabrics I have gathered to make blocks.

Snow dyeing results Final!

Finally getting around to posting photos of my final results for the snow dyeing.  All of my experimenting paid off and I am pleased with the results.  I have shipped off some pieces and received some beautiful pieces back in the swap.

These are done on prepared for dyeing Kona cotton.

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Ice painting

I read somewhere a long time ago about painting outside in below freezing temps.  I decided to try it recently during our ice storm.  I used a piece of light weight canvas and hung it outside for a few hours.  Then I brought it in laid it on a rack and painted it with Stewart Gill fabric paints.  The fabric thawed so quickly it was really not icy while I was finishing the painting.  But, I am not going to paint outside during an ice storm so my ice painting is not quite authentic.You can see the ridges made by the rack in the photo.  This is before I ironed it to set the paint.

My snow dying process






The two red pieces and the purple/blue/red  a couple of posts below are all made from a white sheet an exchange student left at my house a couple of years ago.

I bought the supplies from Dharma Trading company

I prewashed the fabric in Synthropol.  Then I soaked it in a soda ash solution.   While it was soaking I prepared my urea and salt chemical water.  I laid the fabric out on several different types of racks.  The article I read in Art Quilting stated that she used a piece of plexiglass and tilted it into a pan so that the fabric did not sit in the excess dye.  I used two small pieces of plexi tilted in my favorite pan (it is designed for fish cleaning and sold at sporting goods stores).

I also used a small baking rack over a dish pan and a shoe box sized plastic box.  In the bottom of the plastic box I placed some bubble wrap with really large bubbles.  I also slanted this so the dye would run down.

I then put the wet fabric on the racks and covered  it with snow.

I mixed the dye two tables spoons to a half cup of chemical water.  Then poured it on over the snow.  I then covered it with plastic bags and left it overnight.

The next day I sprayed all of the fabric with warm water, wrung it out and hung it to dry.  I will wash it with synthrapol in a few days.